Monday, January 14, 2013

I WANT MY HOLIDAY BACK!

By William Dekker

Buzzzzzz! I feel like two thousand and thirteen bees are buzzing in the entire territory of my head! So here I am once again. It’s neither a New Semester, nor an Academic year but just a shift in the realm of the Global Calendar, a New Year, 2013. No difference to it, same shaggy hair, same old shoes, unchanged Hostel room and same Moi University with the same “Administration”. Come on, I had to mention the “admin” thing, you know why better than I do. Chaos, it is!

Just as soon as I board the MU shuttle at the Eldoret bus stage, thoughts of horrific scenes start to take control of me. And for about 36km to “Main” I am deeply engulfed in a sea of nightmares. Perhaps the confusion that awaits is enough to instantly make one mad. Oh my, the Hostel accommodation disaster, academic calendar programming catastrophe, the “further notices” calamity among other usual downbeats . . . all are in store for me. No pains, after all am in an eye sore-certified institution. Long live Moi . . . oops!"

By the time I get to “Karibu Umefika”, am seriously regretting why I had to travel all the way to this place (today). “Kwani hapa ni High School ntapatiwa pano niki-extend?” Frakaz pap! I make my first stoppage to my “home away from home” and guzzle “2,013” bottles of KEG just to synchronize my head with the new environment here. I tell you the moment you face your day one in this Campus head-on you are bound to suffer. At least I got to “warm boot” myself with a few tots of beer. Now I will have adopted and refreshed my system.

The hostel environment proves not to be conducive as per my expectations. First, I have no coil . . . famine ahead! Secondly, I did a shopping of less than 500/- . . . IDP ahead! Lastly, my roommate has made an “exile” timetable in advance . . .its pirating reloaded!
The usual accommodative neighbors are all wearing the “sura ya kazi” look, meaning this time round my antics for timing meal-times won’t work that efficiently. Apparently, I still don’t have alternative “B” now that I can’t afford a mess-budget for the remaining two months.


It dawns to me that I had received my two-semester HELB loan in advance over the Christmas holiday, and extravagantly spent it in the village (in advance). So here I am broke and broken, pocket-wrecked and miserable! Those who assisted me to passionately feast on the money are nowhere in my vicinity. No one is willing, or rather even capable of loaning me no matter the grounds. After all, “kila mtu ako-broke hii Januarrrr.” Such are the times that you opt for IEBC vacancies to reload your financial status. 

Or I should rather go back home and hunt for the politicians “untie-ment ” money. It’s a season for the voter to “earn”, get paid for attending campaigns. So what am I doing in Moi, when the environment off-campus seems to be more conducive than this? I just need that holiday back. Nikikaa hapa, ntakonda!

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.