Thursday, June 20, 2013

AN OPEN LETTER TO CHARLES RINGERA – HELB CEO

By Eric Kinaga

I am aware that in the recent days, Kenyans have adopted the habit of writing 'OPEN LETTERS TO' so and so. Some of these are purely publicity stunts. Yet there are others coming from deep within ours hearts. Mine lies here.

I am not sure you know this, but Moi University (Main Campus) has its third years in session; class of 2011-2015. Their recalling was actually by accident. While they expected to be recalled back to school somewhere in July or August, they were recalled on April 15th. That is over two months ago. 

While I appreciate that yours isn’t a gutter organization, driven to serve a few hundreds, I must bring to your attention the plight of these men and women; those waiting to take up your position when that time comes. 

We have tried to seek communication with your office, Mr CEO. We have tried. We have approached administrators, accountants, Deans and DVCs here at main campus, seeking to know why we haven't received any financial boosting from your side. Some of them claimed that HELB was a separate entity and, as such, any complaints should be addressed directly to it. And yet these were the same people that recalled us back with no financial grounding. 

A few days ago, we came across an announcement. Your team would be coming over to deal with this issue. This was after a list was pinned on the notice board, revealing hundreds of names of those that had qualified for disbursements. Yet three weeks later, our accounts remain thirsty.

We start our exams in four days. And the university has a policy of not letting anyone sit examinations without first clearing their fees. We have tried to negotiate, only to reach a dead end. Until now, no one has spoken to you about this, or even written. If they had, I would not have to do this. (I hate writing long letters by the way.)

I have not met you before, and I am hoping one day I will. But I am sure that in your capacity, you can do something to help, if you so wish. This hope is what drives me, and many others, to ensure that none of us misses their exams, simply because they can't afford to clear their fee balance. Or have to go for days without meals, with no surety that all shall be well. 

We hear there was a message relayed to us; that we would receive the money in a fortnight. That's the same time our exams end. We ask, how shall we start?

I don't need to conclude this, but ask that you take appropriate measures to deal with this issue. And if possible, do so in haste. In the meantime, I shall prepare for my exams, knowing that our prayers will be answered. And funds disbursed. Kind regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.