Monday, February 27, 2012

DIVERGENT VIEW ON THE SPIRIT OF COMRADESHIP

Mercy Trecy writes on:

“COMRADES POWER!” Those are familiar words to most of us but were only heard by the ‘freshaz’ during MUSO campaigns! That is where my problem really lies. When our former president of Kenya was in power, ‘HARAMBEE’ was our slogan and he used it each and every day and not during campaigns only. I actually believe that it helped in uniting us as Kenyans knowing that we had something in common… What has changed our politics?


Politics is not really my thing but I am one person who believes in getting my rights! I remember having a problem with my Maths teacher in sec school due to this. I had a problem with him favouring some students in class by not punishing them in case they didn’t do their assignments but punishing others. But just as politics ‘iko kwa damu’ in some of us, the same applies to me and getting my rights.


I remember our current Sec Gen Mr. Seth Dikembe had updated during campaigns that when he gets into power, he would uphold the spirit of comradeship and ensure that the slogan is not used only during campaigns. Am I wrong Bwana Sec Gen? That made my heart feel at peace, so am looking forward to getting a big smile on my face and don’t you let me down!


Last week I was in shock, not because of Bwana Sec Gen but because of my fellow comrades! When we updated on the Sec-Gen’s idea of getting an extra bed added in our senior hostels, I didn’t think even in my wildest of thoughts that it would create a ground for quarrels and enmity. Most comrades proved me wrong and gave me a reason to worry a great deal. I believe it was just a suggestion that he was passing to us to have our views. Some of us took it too personal as to start calling him names and telling him how much he has proved them wrong because ati they had had faith in him while electing him!


My question is: How did he make you lose faith in him? On the contrary, I think you are the ones who have let him down in that matter because he is fair enough to ask for your views. Which other MUSO official has ever asked you for your opinions on any issue?! He humbled himself unlike those who were before him and given your voices importance! Surely, I must be honest with you my dears and confess that so far I have not seen a leader as humble as our current Sec-Gen. When I saw it on The 3rd Eye facebook fanpage wall, untold joy rushed in me knowing that I had not been wrong or not even wasted my time in queuing to vote for him. He has truly portrayed the characteristics of a good servant leader!


I expected us, as comrades, to be the ones fighting to uphold the spirit of comradeship. We should have just given our polite views and not made the post look like some form of a battle field! I know it is not everyone that supported him in his quest to get the seat but it’s high time that we all accepted that he got in by majority votes and should thus at least lend him our ears and hear what plans he has and only then will we all exist peacefully in this campus.


The power of comradeship is in uniting as a campus and being open-minded in our dealings, accepting each other despite the tribal difference or difference in views. We are different people with different minds and I know that we will differ most times in our criticisms but the spirit of comradeship will only be upheld if we respect each other’s views and opinions. This is only possible by ensuring politeness in our arguments.

I truly hope and pray that very soon I will be having a different story from this and be thanking you for bringing back the spirit! For Bwana Dikembe, we are humbled to have a leader who is so humble. Keep it up! END

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.