Tuesday, June 11, 2013

MEMORIES OF AN ELDER

By Wesonga Quintas

Having overstayed here as an elder in our dear university with a difference, my memory membrane vibrates with a litany of fond memories, a mixture of joy and sorrow, achievement and failure on both our part and the system at large. Talking of systems reminds me of one quotation I got from the university senate: “Systems cannot be fought.” Don’t ask me when and why I was told that. It was at the senate chambers.
I was here to see our big university open the greatest number of campuses in the country in the tenure of Prof. Mibey as the VC. Mention Kitale, Karatina, Yala, Narok and Coast campuses and all happened in my lifetime as a comrade. I was still here to see some of them grow into fully fledged universities such as Karatina, Maasai Mara, Kabianga and University of Eldoret. My only worry is, ceteris paribas, these sons of Moi will soon rank above their mother.

When I was coming to Moi for the first time, I was sure I was lost until I saw the “Karibu umefika” notice at the beautiful gate. This was because the Cheptiret-Moi road was pathetic. It was only recarpeted following a big demonstration and death of a comrade. Now that the road is almost achieving the original status, another comrade must prepare to die and several others prepare for suspension.

In first year, I was welcomed by great student-politicians such as future Siaya senator Felix Gworo who by then was the MUSO Sec. Gen. We later had Victor Mairura and company. After then, I was privileged to witness death and burial of comradeship. Mwamburi strived in vain to revive it and made some progress. His successors have ensured the final cementing of the grave for comrade power. I was here to see all this.

Then came the ISO certification. The less I say on this the better to save my skin. The only good thing that happened in line with this was the Universities Act 2012 which created the Commission for University Education. The commission then went round inspecting public universities. For the first time since 1984, buildings were repainted!

The university has however done well on beautification. Flowers are all over campus and one can be cheated that it has always been so. These flowers were planted just the other day, 2009 to be precise. The wireless portal is another achievement.

Due to the infamous double intake, we experienced the longest holiday for 8 months. This enabled the 26th SGC to go for an illegal two-year term and still did nothing. This was then followed by the longest semester lasting from November to April. During the semester, we had 3 breaks!

To appear modern, the university replaced blackboards with whiteboards in all lecture rooms. This was still in 2009. Unfortunately, no orientation was done leading to the current state of the white boards in most of our lecture rooms.

I was here to see the Moi University Dispensary upgraded to a hospital although nothing had changed. NCT building was completed in 2009 after being started in the early 1990s. A hostel had one wing completed and ablution blocks constructed to completion in my lifetime in this campus. History proves that it doesn’t happen that easy. My son will be here to see the said hostel completed.

As an outgoing elder, I recommend the following: Immediate steps should be undertaken to disband MUSO and empower school organizations. More hostels should be constructed by inviting private developers to ease accommodation problem. The university must check its admission policy pegged on available resources. PSSP should be scrapped and mature entry be reintroduced to allow equality of access to education. PSSP widens the gap between the rich and the poor against the goals of education.

Since I have written in vain for all my life as a comrade on dressing, especially for our ladies, I recommend that a dressing code be enforced strictly. Finally, to bring any meaningful change, all those people who have been here since the 1980s should be laid off. Only then shall we see change!

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.