Friday, June 14, 2013

CAMPUS TERMS AND THEIR REAL TRANSLATIONS14

By Mohammed Doyo

In campus, we have some common phrases that are popular among the student fraternity. And as a communication student who is very keen on the language use during conversations and chats, I found it ‘worthy’ to compile this list just in case you needed to know the REAL meaning/translation of some of this phrases. 

‘K’− You are totally boring and I want to end this conversation. 

“Oh”− I don’t know what else to say

“Ok”− I am busy

“Yup”− Stop talking to me

“Umemaliza assignment?”− I have not done my assignment and I want to copy yours right now.

“I got swag” − I am just another overgrown teenager who still thinks acting stupid makes one famous.

“Me ni hustler”− I am broke most of the time

“Uko single?”− I was dumped the other day; I am, therefore, interested in you.

“Uko stage?” − I am about to come there so prepare to buy me food or booze

“My twin”− My close friend who looks nothing like me

“Hii story hapana!”− This is no longer a laughing matter and this situation is now considered serious.

“My heart is taken but I’m single”− She/he doesn’t love me any more

“Siwezi make kutembea, nimechoka”− unless you are buying me chips or smokie, I am not willing to go with you

“Me ni half cast”− I am ashamed of my original tribe and therefore I can’t mention it in public

“I am broke”− I only have enough money for ME.

“Umm.. I got a boyfriend “− Not only are you ugly, you are broke too. Get out of my face

“Whatever!”− I refuse to continue the conversation because you have ruined my mood!

“Why are you lying?”− Why are you telling people something TRUE that I don’t want them to know?

“LOL”− I was flirting, but just in case you are not feeling it, I will make it seem like a joke

“Girl, you will not believe what happened to me”− Prepare to hear my exaggerated version of the story

“I swear sitaambia mtu yeyote”− except my three best friends, my boyfriend, his sister and that random guy on FB, everyone else won’t know about it!

“Mwakenya”− an external micro hard disk that is very essential for intellectual reinforcements in the exam room (as per University student’s dictionary, Moi Uni Edition 2013)

“Naenda library kuchop”− Exams are beginning tomorrow

“Class imebounce”− God answered my prayers. I now have extra 3 hours to watch my favourite series

“Unaishi hostel gani?”− I am idle today and therefore I wouldn’t mind visiting you at your place.

“My dad loves me so much”- I receive M-Pesa messages on regular basis from my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.