Wednesday, May 15, 2013

HAIL THE SHOPKEEPERS

By Remington Miheso

I have sort of developed some kind of respect for the 26th group of shopkeepers. I am still yet to understand why. I am told that they are supposed to have vacated their shops (offices) long time ago but for one reason or another are still forcing themselves to serve us. I really like this bunch of guys, they make life in Moi High School easy to cope with despite all the challenges presented to us. I think this is because the group comprises of some very unique fellows, guys who choose to work from their shops while ‘serving’ us instead of the offices they are given. Some have even chosen to use technology (phones) to serve us.

I once visited a director who resides in hostel E only to be told by her room-mate that she doesn't operate manually like she used to. That I should call her on the phone she bought with the money she earned after being elected as a director. Trust me, she didn't own a phone before she landed the opportunity to sit in ‘her’ shop at the Students’ Centre and listen to our problems while providing solutions at the same time.

These guys are special due to the fact that the school they are in also has its own uniqueness. This is the only university in Kenya where life begins from speculations which later become true. Honestly speaking, I have never heard of a plan that goes through without changes in this University with differences from its ‘sister’ school, Moi High School. Last semester I had oriented my mind to study till I am through with my third year before that plan was rudely interrupted by the school when they had to send us home to pave way for another group to come and enjoy staying in this very wonderful school.

I thus went home a very de-psyched guy. I had to look for an alternative way to spend and thus went to look for internship which was not a very easy task having in mind that I am a media student. Before I could even start working, the university decided that it was time we came back and worse still, they never communicated officially, I only received a text, 'tunarudi shule 15th!' Or maybe they communicated but I didn't see it.

This is why it has some of the most ‘respected’ student’s leaders, guys who choose to involve themselves much in matters affecting the University of Nairobi other than Moi University, I guess their ego can’t allow them to associate with this school in the forest. I think before the guys assume their roles as our shopkeepers they should first vow to love and protect this university at all costs even when it has some of the oldest facilities in Kenya. I also think we do not need to vote in future, they should just be interviewed with questions like, have you ever operated a business or if you are given the opportunity of being a director, which shop do would you choose.

There is this one guy whose name I find so unique, it resembles something like the end month of the year. At first I thought he was the boss of all the shops only to be disappointed by being told that he is a minor director. This is the only guy who can scream on Facebook till all his friends block him, including his first year girlfriend who doesn't even know the meaning of a social site. He seems to serve students more on Facebook than while in school. I am told he even has an office on Facebook. I am yet to confirm that. He is the only guy who can wear anything and still look the same, even in a lady’s dress! My dad once told me, these people with names with a rhyming scheme are always problematic. Those thinking about one Miguna Miguna are not wrong in their thought I should say. I never saw the essence of my dad’s words but now I see.

I love Moi University, but it isn’t a school without students. That’s why I think the old books in Margaret Thatcher should be replaced with portraits of guys like Mr President. Guys who will be remembered more for not doing what they should have done and doing what they ought not to have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.