Friday, April 19, 2013

THE MUSO CHAIRPERSON

By Chemochek Enock

My phone rings and I reach for my Blackberry in the breast pocket but then again I realize it is not the Blackberry that is ringing; it’s my Samsung Galaxy S III in my back pocket. I reach for it. Oh! It’s my treasurer, or should I say MUSO Treasurer, calling. “The account must be running pretty low. Damn!” I murmur to myself, returning my smartphone to the pocket.

It’s the last quarter of the year 2013 and it has been months since I was elected the MUSO chair. I am counting my blessings one by one, and smiling at the fact that all my weeks-old businesses are running well. The salon and two ‘kinyozis’ at the Students’ Centre are also doing well. The coffee shop in Soweto is equally raking in big money while the chips café near barracks seems to be picking up, among other businesses at the stage.

All I do is sit back and enjoy life in Moi University, the goodness of having cash and living a posh life. I wonder why some bunch of mere students keep parroting day in day out that Moi University is such a bad institution. In the first place why should they feel bitter? I think they should just go to Frakaz, drink two or three Smirnoffs and drown to slumber!

Thank goodness the month’s pay is about to be deposited into my account, but before then I will talk with the treasurer and see how much I can have from the MUSO account, having in mind December is here. My buddies must get rounds of whisky on Christmas day so they can drink to their fill and shower me with praises. I am also bound to throw a two-day party to usher in the New Year; after all I have money, more than enough for me and my pals.

The New Year will come and new resolutions will be made. I don’t think I will have to make any resolutions because problems are far from me, even those petty writers of the press club who like poking their noses into MUSO’s affairs won’t bother me a bit. Maybe I will have to silence one or two. I will hug the New Year with great joy because it is going to bring with it prosperity. The business ideas in my mind will materialize. I will work on modalities and technicalities of privatizing the MUSO cyber café at the Students’ Centre then I will rest assured my future life is brighter than I could ever think of.

Hallo! Now back to reality, far from day dreaming. Here I am, the sufferer I have always been, poor as I seem. The MUSO elections campaigns have not even kicked off! My good friend Dekker doubts the ability of second years to run MUSO and I am just a fresher. I guess all I have to do, at least for now is to attack MUSO officials for their poor management of our money and their extended stay in office.

I also ought to start cheating students that when elected the president, I will tarmac all roads including those leading to ‘diaspora’. I will assure them that insecurity won’t be an issue, promise to extend the wireless networks to every corner of this institution, promise to ensure accommodation fees are halved, living conditions improved and recreation facilities put in place. I have to promise heaven, hoping against hope that no one foresees the hell that is awaiting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.