Thursday, August 8, 2013

WHAT EXACTLY DO READERS WANT?

By James Kombe
It is said that a writer remains blind to how his/her readers react to the text until they finally respond. I agree. The diversity of audience surely makes it hard to at least make a guess regarding the same. After all, different people consume similar pieces of information for different purposes – some to get informed, for leisure, to criticize – just to mention a few.

However, I have personally come to realize that there are a few ‘funny’ responses that one ought to be prepared for, especially while writing for such a vibrant forum as ‘Moi University Press Club, The Third Eye’. If you want to believe this, take some time, go through some of the comments made for stories posted in this fan page. Trust me; you might not stop laughing, at least for a while! You will come across comments that you least expected. That is what I normally do sometimes when I am depressed.

As I write this piece, I constantly refer back to its beginning, just to confirm that it is still a short one. Some comrades seem not to be in love with long text pieces. They have no time for them, whether or not they have something else to do. “I can’t read all this…” “This is too long…” “Can someone summarize this for me…?” are some of the complaints that I want to avoid now. So trust me, this won’t be ‘too long’ for you.

Allow me to restate one or two replies for a news story that I came across sometimes back. Someone, after reading the online post, just said, “e.t.c” Another one wrote, “Blah blah blah!” I did not really understand what they meant until I asked one of them, who said, “Ok, I read the story and understood it. I simply had nothing serious to say about it, I just wanted to submit a comment.”

Well, I promised you that I was going to keep this one short. For that matter, let me disregard all the other paragraphs that I am yet to type, so that I can sum up with the question of, ‘What exactly do readers want?’

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.