Wednesday, July 31, 2013

YES THERE WERE FAILURES; BUT OF WHO, WHEN, WHERE AND HOW? (Right of Reply)

By Dikembe Disembe
Mohammed Doyo, probably with hindsight, has attempted to put words on my time as the Secretary General. Cautiously, he has navigated one of the hardest experiences of any journalist: To objectively write about a friend.

Truth is, when I actively served in Muso, which is during the first part of the academic year 2013/14; two things shaped the operations of MUSO.

First was the external politics within the larger student body. Can anyone recall my first actions when I got in? I guess not. Here it is: I wanted us to accommodate more students within the university halls. I wanted the so called 'senior hostels' decked and the thousand 'unknown students' housed in 'shanties' at Blue gate and whatnot brought in. This failed, but was it my failure? Later, until now, one of the most hurtful things to students has been on the area of accommodation.

Back then, people told me to concentrate on "my docket", which, in MUSO parlance, meant to do those functions explicitly stated for the Sec Gen. Who were these people? Doyo only needs to go back there and you will be shocked by the names. You see, I got into MUSO in spite of (without) the endorsements of so many people. The students who voted me in were moderate, unknown and very 'silent' group. They just came, voted and left.

Often, the people whose names appear in any political discussions in Main Campus do not need student leaders to navigate the murky waters of institutional bureaucracies; in fact, many of them are part of the system; and its problems. Ever heard that, say, Allan Wadi, missed a room? Or my friend Kobilo? You see, to them; student politics is just a showbiz. A game. They know nothing about living Kilometers away from the library or lecture halls. They just imagine it.

Doyo highlights four failures (though this number is being contested as too less) on my work. First, that I had a tussle with one Salat which I took to the Dean for resolution. Two, that I 'did little' to achieve a new constitution. Three, that I owned a shop; and four that I concentrated too much on national politics and 'neglected' MUSO politics.

But, just as all journalists do, Doyo, who seems to be too lenient on a friend, left it for each comrade to agree or disagree with his observations. I have seen the debate and the feedback; and it humbles to know what people think of you.

I wish, however, to respond to the question of the MUSO constitution. Until last week, I did not know that a clique of students led by one George Bush were again engaged in writing a "new constitution"; and that over Ksh 70,000 went into that activity. I can't wait for crossfire! But I digress.

While Doyo says I did very little (at least he appreciates I did something; which was 'very little'); he does not say what was this that I did: Here it is.

Throughout the whole year, the university Chief Legal Officer, Ms Sinani, was engaged in the vetting of the judges and magistrates. She was on a sabbatical leave. Now, any student who understands legal framework on which Moi University was established will tell you that no document can ever be declared in use in Moi University without the input of the Chief Legal Officer. I made countless attempts to have this lady endorse the constitution until I realized it was never going to happen. What would you have done?

On my tiff with Salat, a classmate; I have this: Morality, especially sexual morality; is a very personal issue. Salat knew that nothing infuriates me more than an awefully false accusation on "sleeping with women around", yet that is what he wrote about me. As a man, it will be stupid to deny my vitality on matters procreational; but, as a student leader, I always made a point to stick with the same muso 'gal' am still dating-and yes, she took Salat's article with a pinch of salt; accepted it and we moved on!

Suffice to say, after the noise went down, Salat, a practising muslim, made a point and apologized to me over it. We ended it.

People can talk about my failures day on end but there are things they will never dare talk about: No one will dare say they obstructed so many of my initial ideas of what strengthening MUSO entailed. As the Secretary General; I have put the name of MUSO in the best of places;and events in this world! And just don't forget; am penning this piece from two oceans away!

Lastly, for the incoming SG, and i'm glad the position has attracted the highest number, though majority are jokers, I have this for you: Stepping in my shoes won't be easy, but, TRY anyway! Forget the low politics of shops and sex; MUSO is bigger than the little sideshows of who poisoned who, where, why and how.

The writer is the outgoing MUSO Secretary General, currently on an exchange programme at Miami University, US

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.