Thursday, June 6, 2013

IS SOMEBODY SLEEPING ON THE JOB?

By Remington Miheso

The other day I happened to be passing by Hostel L (for reasons well known to me) and I was hit by a not-so-welcoming odour emanating from the washrooms in the basement. Well, I couldn’t go check what was amiss but I was later informed by a friend who resides there that the washroom sewerage outlets had been blocked and that was the cause of the filthy smell that made me lose my appetite that day. That wasn’t an issue until she told me that the mess had been there for more than two weeks and no one seemed to notice it, not even the cleaner who supposedly cleans the washrooms every day. 

It’s not only hostel L that this has happened. I happen to reside in hostel G and on the second floor, there is a blocked dirty-water outlet that has been this way for more than two weeks and no one seems disturbed by its condition. At the back of hostel F, a pipe burst last year before we went home and it’s not till recently that I have seen some action being taken to repair it. This keeps me wondering, are we really ‘safe’ in in this university?

When they say we are in a university with a difference, they should specify the differences so that we are not left speculating what they may be. I think the basic hygiene standards in the hostels and the university at large is pitiful to the extent that one prefers to commute to and from town while studying in the campus instead of staying here to be subjected to these conditions. Maybe that explains why Mr President doesn’t live in the school. (I now understand why the second year students in Annex are not complaining for living like pastoralists in Moi University. They are in paradise as compared to the main campus.)

Apart from hygiene, security is also an issue in Moi University. In hostel J, for the past two months alone, there has been too many theft cases, so many that one fears walking in the corridors from the worry that you may be robbed! Something interesting is that the thieves unlock doors that are meant to prevent other people and allow only the rightful owner of a room access to it. We pay an average of two thousand shillings each semester (I stand to be corrected). 

Why can’t the locks in hostels J, H and G be replaced? Apparently any key can unlock the doors as long as it resembles the original one. Are we so deficient of ideas that we can’t devise ways to curb the increasing theft cases in the university? Is there no way the rooms in these hostels can be secured? 

I think the security and hygiene should be a priority and not an option. The security people have been reduced to ‘rescuers’ who wait for comrades to get hold of thieves then appear to rescue them. I think people should wake up and do what they are paid to do. This should be a university with a positive difference, not negative ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.