Thursday, April 11, 2013

MY YESTERDAY WAS BETTER!

By Dun Kimaru 

We have complained so much about our problems that someone told me that we should instead focus on offering solutions. I couldn’t agree more and I therefore decided to look into the accommodation crisis in the hope of coming up with a solution. The most disturbing thing is that I was blank. There is no single answer that brings all comrades together. This is because most of our problems were allowed to pile up until they overlapped the solutions. The second years’ dream of coming back became a nightmare to the first years. Talk of digging a hole to cover another. Whatever good is done to a certain group reflects badly on another. A helpless and hopeless situation indeed!

It is surprising how time flies. When I joined as a first year back in 2009, there were many issues even then. But if you took a current first or second year back in time they would call it heaven. Every dawning day seems to bring new obstacles that trivialize our earlier ones. When hundreds missed accommodation in the year 2010/11 everyone pointed at the incomplete hostel M. With thousands now at home for lack of rooms, its completion now offers as much a solution as a bucket in a flooded village.

When students had to reside in ‘Diaspora’ then, their biggest problem was clean water. Today it’s the least of them. I recently visited a friend in one of these hostels and the room resembled a disco house since the lights flickered like nobody’s business. Woe unto him because he owns a desktop, the power is just enough for phone and laptop chargers. Needless to say, I have always resented people who focus on the past when faced with challenges instead of focusing on a better tomorrow. But however hard I try I can’t help looking over my shoulder because there is no brighter future to look forward to.

Whenever I board the bus to town and pay 70 bob I can’t help but remember the chairman that made it possible. Going by his successors, I doubt such self sacrifice is ever in their minds. Don’t get me wrong I don’t advocate for demonstrations and strikes but this guy left a mark which none of his successors ever did. But it came at a price; you won’t be seeing this guy in some corridors. Just saying!

When second and third years went home indefinitely last year, at least they had completed an academic year. Now the first and some second years are going home in the middle of one. It won’t be surprising if another bunch has to leave after a few CATs in future. It seems like we are progressively going on a downward spiral and there is nothing we can do about it. I am therefore going to enjoy myself now in the cockroach-infested hostels with poor sanitation because at least there is a bathroom. A day might come when fellow students are allocated bathrooms as rooms and the toilets become multi-purpose. If I am complaining now what will I do then? Whenever I think it can’t get any worse someone surprises me and makes me long for my yesterday.

Time to complain is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

your comment, your voice...

Search site.